Monday, September 3, 2012

Share Your Christmas Traditions With Vlad

When the photolisting came out last spring for the kids that were available for hosting this past summer a few of them stood out to me. Their photos and their stories touched my heart and I prayed fervently for them to find host families. One of them was Vlad, he won me over with his sweet little smile. I mean look at him, he just looked so happy!!


I considered hosting him, advocated for him on facebook and continued to pray for a family to find him but ultimately it wasn't God's plan for Vlad to join our family this summer. I was devastated for him when hosting closed and he wasn't chosen. My heart was literally broken. I couldn't explain it, but I just felt like the NEEDED to come to America this summer. Then on June 14th, just 10 days before the host kids were due to arrive the NHFC coordinator in Latvia contacted them and told them they MUST find one more family for a boy who was being heavily bullied at his orphanage, that boy was Vlad! Vlad is a quiet, kind and caring boy and those are just the types of kids the bullies at his orphanage were targeting. When I read that he was being bullied it only made me love him more, any child who can maintain a genuine smile like that while being picked on deserved a chance to come to America in my book. Thankfully a family stepped up for Vlad that very same day and he was able to spend the summer in Pennsylvania and escape the bullies.

His summer host family describes him as a wonderful boy who plays well, uses him imagination and was patient with their three younger children. He accepted Jesus as his Savior and asked great questions regarding spiritual matters. Vlad was very sweet and enjoyed helping around the house and truly shined when it came to assembling the new family swing set. Vlad speaks and reads English well and he enjoyed American food. His family said he was precious and very lovable! He has a good attitude and gets along well with other kids his age. He became good friends with an American boy of the same age and they played well together and were able to compromise well when choosing an activity or game to play. His host family says he is a real treasure and would do well in a family with children of any ages!
Vlad enjoying the pool this summer!

Do you have room in your hearts and homes for Vlad this Christmas?? If you're interested in hosting Vlad or another child this winter please email me at smaljian@newhorizonsforchildren.org .

UPDATE: VLAD HAS A HOST FAMILY!! PRAISE GOD!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm part of a new Christmas Tradition. You see I'm one of Santa's elves, have been for 60 years, and this Christmas I'll be traveling with Santa and three other elves spreading the Christmas Web. We'll be helping that other observant elf in bring a special gift to children that only us elves and the child know about. We'll hide it in the house and give the child a "magic wand" so that only they can find it. We'll come back each year with another special gift until the child returns their magic wand to Santa. If you get a host for Vlad I'd like to be sure that he and his host family hav a magic wand. Contact me and I'll send them a copy ot The Christmas Web.
    Kobie

    ReplyDelete