Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Goodbye Sucks!!!!

Sorry, can't hide my feelings, goodbye sucks:( 

It was just plain awful!! 

I was in tears this morning before Dzintars even got out of bed! And now I'm just numb. Before I make everyone cry, let me share a few photos of the parts of our day that didn't include a 14 year old sobbing and begging me not to make him go back to Latvia. 

My sweet husband took Dzintars out to buy me some gifts last night. I got two bouquets of flowers, a balloon that says "I love you" and some precious pieces of jewelry. Dzintars is such a thoughtful kid, he loves watches and picked me out a new one, as well as a bracelet that has the words "faith, hope and love" on it and my favorite piece is a necklace with a "blinged up" letter D for Dzintars:) Today after Peter left for work he asked me to take him out to buy a gift for Peter. We were already picking up pictures at Costco so I took him to the Azusa Target with the shopping cart escalator. I knew he'd get a kick out of it and I was right:) He thought it was super cool so of course I took his picture with it! 


The kids and I took him for one more sweet treat at Twohey's in Alhambra:) He took one bite and declared it "PERFECT!" Ha! That was the first time I'd ever heard him use that word. It was followed by many "yum-yums":) 

Family hugs before driving to the airport. 


We almost scored another night with our boy when American cancelled his flight to JFK. But after a few hours of scrambling by LeAnn the director of New Horizons and some smooth talking at LAX from our local coordinator and Peter we were able to book all the kids and the airline representative on a flight from LAX to Nashville and then to La Guardia, where they'll have to take ground transportation to JFK. Dzintars was very disappointed when the new flight was booked. He told me "Too bad. I thought I was going to get one more night with you. I wish I was your son!" Rip my heart out why don't you kid?

The kids were rock stars!! Didn't get home till after 11 pm and they were just superb!! Small miracles folks, small miracles.

Playing Uno with Victorja and Dan.

One of Brennan's two new Latvian crushes. She's such a cutie. 

The kids both loved Santa.

They'll miss their big brother. Both of them are already asking why he had to go:(

 One final shot as a family of five.

They had their serious faces on tonight. 

Until they started tickling each other.



Right after this picture was taken we had to say our final goodbyes. It was awful!! I knew he was sad and desperately wanted to stay. But I did not expect him to sob and cling to me with everything he had begging me not to make him go:( We had to pry him off of me and nearly shove him up the escalator away from us.  It was devastating. My heart hurts for this boy, for the loss he is feeling and the fact that all he's ever wanted is a family of his own. We will do our best to love him well from here but he NEEDS a family! These next days will be hard for us all, please keep all five of us in your prayers as we mourn the fact that we're no longer together and continue to pray for a family for Dzintars!! I desperately want to tell him he has a family coming just for him!! He's had a few families seriously inquire about him but none of them will be able to proceed. There is a minimum age gap between parent and child of 18 years, that alone has "disqualified" two possible families today alone and another one last week. I know there is a family out there searching for Dzintars, they just don't know it yet! Please, continue to share his story. You never know when your one "share" will reach the family that was meant to be his all along!!

6 comments:

  1. How do we find out the requirements to adopt him? Who do we call?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, Start by contacting New Horizons directly! Look under the tab "interested in hosting" for their website which has all their contact info. My local coordinator is Stephanie Norman, her info is on there she'd be a good starting place!

      Delete
  2. Is that why your family was unable to adopt him, because of the 18 year age gap requirement? I want to share his information with some families I know in Birmingham that have sometimes adopted older children, but generally their first question is why a host family did not adopt the child. Thank you. I am praying for him to get his forever family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelia,
      We do meet the minimum age gap requirements, they are the same for hosting as adopting. The best answer I can give you is that we went into this with the intention of hosting only. The time period to choose the kids had officially ended and still Dzintars sat unchosen. Then the orphan ministry in Latvia decided to open up the list for one more week and still on the last day Dzintars was unchosen. I had inquired about him a few times, but the fees were more than we could handle. With hours left someone I didn't even know, but who had met Dzintars in country and loved him, stepped up and paid all his fees in hopes that we could host him. So we did. Dzintars is wonderful and would a great addition to any family. New Horzions has us fill out very honest and detailed reports on the kids as they don't want adoptive families to have any surprises. I have seen nothing in Dzintars that would keep me from recommending him to be with any family. We didn't even have one major issue the entire 5 weeks. He truly is an amazing kid!

      Delete
  3. Hi Stacey,

    I came across your blog from another blog advocating for the kids who were hosted. Any idea on the process to adopt him? Is he still not matched? Does Latvia have requirements about the number of other children in the home? Cost? Etc? :) He seems like an amazing kid. I'd love more info. Thanks for giving him such an amazing experience. Bless your heart as you adjust to him being gone.

    Blessings,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, Would you please email me at: staceymaljianATgmail.com

      Delete