Saturday, December 29, 2012

Advice From Dzintars

This summer our director Leann gave Dzintars a project. Shortly after he returned to Latvia she was there interviewing kids for our winter hosting period (the kids that are here now) and she asked him a few questions in regards to his hosting experience. These are his responses as translated by his social worker Aija. I was delighted to receive his answers via email today!

In regards to your hosting experience in the Maljian family, summer 2012, what advice would you give to future host children?
 
  • To behave well – to listen to host parents’ wishes, for example – to wake up early when it is needed (We spent the first two weeks waking him like this)
  • To participate in activities what a host family offers. I tried some new things – my host mom invited me to go on roller coasters – and I did.
  • I helped my host family – gathered leaves, cleaned a car, fed the dog, helped to fasten small kids in a car, played with the dog, helped to cook, helped to wash dishes a bit, helped to go to stores
  • I always talked to my host mom, so I think it helped us to become friends
  • I prepared and brought my host family a present
  • Sometimes I was lazy to do something what my host family said and I had little caprices/ whims. I decided to keep these caprices/ whims in me. (If you're like me you'll need a definition for caprices. It means a sudden and unaccountable change in mood or behavior. When you win Jeopardy you can thank me!)
  • If my host mom or host dad had some difficulties, it was good to help him
  • To treat your host family well
  • Do not touch unknown dogs, do not tease animals
  • Do not call anyone in bad words
  • I didn’t do anything special – being polite
  • Every Sunday I prayed the God for Stacey (host mom), my host family and other families
How did you know how to behave in a host family?
 
  • When I grew older, I knew I need to behave well in a family – otherwise the family would think that a wild child/ savage came from Latvia.
What did you learn while being hosted in America?
  • To play soccer
  • To play baseball
  • Do not be afraid of American roller coasters, to overcome my fears
  • If you are offered to try new things, try!
  • To listen to the host mom, do not run away from her (He never did this, but still good advice)
  • To treat everyone kindly
  • To learn how to swim
The advice columnist "Dear Abby" has nothing on Dzintars! I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED reading his answers! It was so fun to see hosting through his eyes! And several of his answers gave Peter and I a good chuckle, especially the one where he said he needed to behave well so we wouldn't think savage children came from Latvia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment