Thursday, December 6, 2012

Random Acts - Day 6

Today we set out to...


We brought along the plastic container that Brennan saves all our loose change in and headed back out to Pasadena to find some meters in need of money!!
 



The first few we did were fun but they still had time left on them, so we just built in a little "grace period" for them. But then we stumbled upon 5 or 6 that looked like this...


And then we saw this dude and it was on!!! We raced down the street feeding all the meters with red flashing lights!


I think this one's my favorite, she really had to stretch her short little self to reach the slot! Who says kiddos can't do big things? 

We won! He turned around and drove off to write parking tickets elsewhere! 


The kids were super stoked! Some high fiving may have ensued upon their victory over the parking enforcement dude! 


We were right be Pasadena City Hall, which is gorgeous, so we stopped to take a few photos!





And that's our good deed for today! I'm pretty certain that God had that parking enforcement officer ride by right as the kids were feeding meters that were overdue just so my kids would know how much good they were doing for others. Brennan was SOOO into it and determined that he beat the bike down the street to make sure no one got a ticket! It's made today's act so much more fun and meaningful to them! This whole experience is really having an impact on him! Kaelyn's having fun with it, but it's not quite sinking in this year, but Brennan's little heart is being stirred for others and I LOVE it!

On Tuesday night while him and I were snuggling at bedtime I asked him to share his "highs and lows" for the day. Your high is something good or your favorite part of the day and your low is something bag or your least favorite part of the day. When I asked him what his low was he said:

"When we drove by that homeless lady on the way home and we didn't have a care pack to give her because we'd already given them all out!"

Such a profound statement from someone so young! I often pray "God, break my heart for what breaks yours!" I want to see the needs around me and be able to do something about them and I desperately want that for my kiddos too which is why we embarked on our Random Acts of Kindness Advent in the first place!  I knew we'd be back in Pasadena today, so I went to Target while the kids were in school this week and picked up enough things to make one more care pack in hopes that we'd find her...we didn't, all we found were more men. I hadn't even told Brennan about the extra care pack because I knew his little heart would be devastated if I was unable to find her. Instead of hopping on the freeway and calling it quits we drove a little farther and I prayed we'd find a woman to bless! On the next corner was a woman, well a girl really, college age, in need of some help! Brennan handed this very special care pack out the window and off we went. He doesn't know it's not the same lady, and I don't plan on telling him, because does it really matter? What matters is the heart of that little boy caused me to buy one more care pack and now one more homeless person has been blessed with food and necessities. I know God works in all things and He knew we wouldn't find the lady we saw on Tuesday. He knew exactly whose path we would cross today, it's how He intended it all along! What a mighty God we serve!

Tomorrow we will stealthily deliver a...


This is another one I'm super stoked about! I'll explain why tomorrow.

Have you been completing your own acts of kindness? I'd love to hear about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment