Thursday, December 13, 2012

Random Acts - Day 13

Today we were able to reach out to our local homeless community again by...


Yesterday I called around to a few places to see who might enjoy some gently "loved" toys and I stumbled upon Door of Hope, a non-profit, faith based organization whose mission is to equip homeless families to rebuild their lives. They have been providing transitional housing and a restoration program especially designed for homeless families with children since 1985. With locations in both Pasadena and Glendale, they provide beds for up to 113 people!!

Their goal is to help families with children go from homelessness to self-sufficiency to permanent housing. They provide a safe, nurturing home environment for homeless families who are serious about getting their lives back on track.

Now that's the  kind of organization I want to be involved with! When I called them to ask if they'd accept used toy donations they said "yes, please!". I was told they use them in their "student store" to teach fiscal responsibility as well as providing toys to children whose families are graduating from the program as a goodbye gift!

Part of the goal of our advent experience this year was for our kids to learn how blessed they truly are! We wanted to awaken in them a sense of compassion and selflessness and an awareness that not everyone is as fortunate as they are. They are blessed beyond measure in the toy department, we've got toys up the wazoo! And every parent knows their kiddos don't play with HALF of what they have! So why not encourage them to clean out their toy collection and pass on what they no longer play with. I'm the first to admit this is usually something I do FOR THEM while they are away from the house. This is of course for my own sanity and once the toys are out of sight they usually forget they've ever had them...usually...it's backfired a few times with Brennan whose superhero power would most definitely be his memory! But I digress...this time around I wanted to encourage them to choose on their own and to share about what Door of Hope is all about and then let them choose toys to share with kids that don't have any!!

It took a bit of convincing for the kids to "buy into" my idea to donate their own toys. There was some complaining and several "I don't want to's". But in the end, once they knew it was their choice, they decided to help mommy choose some things to donate! We talked a lot about what it might feel like to be a homeless child and how happy these toys would make these kids.  I wish I could say I've now rid my house of stuffed animals...I can't! That was the ONE thing (other than his garbage trucks) that Brennan was not willing to let go of. Kaelyn was able to willingly donate a few of her stuffed animals so we made a dent, however so small, in our stuffed animal population! I have to admit there were a few things they chose to donate that I would have preferred they keep, I bit my tongue more than once knowing I needed to allow them to choose what to give and what to keep.

We went through every bin in the playroom and examine every other corner of the house. 


I wanted a picture with them sitting next to their pile of donated toys, but Kaelyn insisted on sitting in front of it...sigh. 

So we did one of each :) Compromise makes the world go round and keeps mama sane!

 They even helped me put everything in trash bags and into the back of my car!

My happy helper who tried to convince his sister she still needed the stuffed "Winnie the Pooh" she'd put in this bag...*sigh* he has a love affair with stuffed animals. You should see his bed!


Tomorrow we will...

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment